The tour would start with a short introduction on the Jewish communities here in India. It talks about how they arrived in the country 2000 years back and how they are spread across various parts of the country. It also delves into the different sects of Judaism that you find in India as well as their culture. In fact, the guide provides you notes and illustrated handouts.
A few facts about this tour
- This is a 4-hour tour
- We provide live guides who know English
- We accept mobile or printed vouchers
- We provide instant confirmation
- You can easily cancel the trip – you can cancel at any time before 24 hours of the trip and you would get the full money back
What are the highlights of the tour?
- Discover Shaar Harahamim. It is popularly known as the Gate of Mercy Synagogue. It was constructed by Samaji Hasaji Divekar in 1796 and happens to be the oldest of its kind in the capital city of Maharashtra.
- Visit Sassoon Docks. It was a family of Jews from Baghdad who made this. They wielded a lot of influence.
- Go to Dhobi Ghat. It is the unique system of outdoor laundry in the city.
A description of the tour
The tour normally starts with Sassoon Docks. After that, you would be taken by car to the famous Gateway of India where you would visit David Sassoon Library as well as the Kenneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue, which is well known for its interiors. After that, you would get to visit Shaar Harahamim. Samaji Hasaji Divekar, the person who built it was also popularly known as Samuel Ezekiel Divekar. He was a Bene Israeli. Apart from this, you would visit the Magen David Synagogue, the Victoria Terminus, the Bombay Municipal Building, the Marine Drive, the Oval Maidan, the High Court, the Bombay University, and the Flora Fountain.
What does the tour include?
- air-conditioned car